当时有六间排屋，因此人们把它叫做“六间”。到1916年又搬 去明古连街与密驼律交界处，这个地方俗称“芒果露”。地方虽较大，但都是租赁的。到此韩氏祠已经三度迁移，祠宇都是租来的。族中先贤均感到星洲韩氏祠，要发扬光大，非有自己的祠址不可，遂在祠员群策群力，团结一致，慷慨募捐之下终于在1925 年，在小坡荷罗卫巷廿一号，购买一间二层楼排屋，为自己的祠宇。祠堂正中供奉，宋魏国忠献王琦公，宋驸马太师秦国嘉彦公，及宋文林郎会稽县尉渡琼始祖显卿公。
在政府城市发展重建计划下，荷罗卫巷的韩氏祠祠宇被征 用，在“姓韩人不能没有韩氏祠”的理念之下，我们终于购得一间独立式洋楼，占地七千零三十九方尺，在红桥头区达比莎路二 号，终于把星洲韩氏祠重新迁建起来(即现在的祠址)。正式新祠
A Brief History of Singapore Han Clan Association
Since the founding of Singapore in 1819, a steady stream of immigrants
from the island of Hainan flocked to the South East Asia in increasing
numbers. Around 1842, there were already more Hainanese immigrating to
Singapore than anywhere else and the majority of these immigrants were
from the Clan of Han.
For our ancestors who had to endure hardship and discomfort of being in
a strange country, they could not find a good place to stay in nor get a
decent job to live by. So, in 1899, a few leaders amongst them met up,
made some sound judgement, and mitigated a consensus for the first
“Singapore Han Clan Association”. The charter that they set out was for
the protection of the Clan of Han, to enable everyone in the Clan to
find easier accommodation through the Association and to survive better
through mitigated cooperation amongst all.
In 1900, the Association got a permanent premise at Thomson Lane through
the hard work of the management. The membership grew with each passing
year until in 1907 the building could no longer hold more people. The
Association moved first to a row of shophouses along the same Thomson
Lane, and then in 1916 moved again to the junction of Bencoolen Street
and Middle Road.
With all these moves, the management was concerned for the welfare of
the Clan, especially its future in such unsettling times and impermanent
status. They felt the Clan would be stifled by the unnecessary payment
of rented properties and frequent shuttling between places. So they got
together again and started a donation drive till in 1925, they raised
enough fund to purchase a private property at 21 Halloway Lane and built
a 2-storey complex for the Clan’s operation. In that building, at the
centre of the Hallway there were erected statues of Wang Chi Gong, etc
for the veneration of our ancestors’ lineage and tradition.
All in all, the Association stayed in Halloway Lane for nearly half a
century (1925 – 1975). Under Singapore’s Urban Renewal Scheme, the
Association’s premise of operation was once again relocated to 2
Derbyshire Road, with a gross floor area of 7379 m². Hence to
commemorate this significant turn of event, the anniversary of the Clan
Association was put at 15 February 1976, on a Sunday.
All this while, the Association had a base of operation but lacked the
necessary funds to run plausible activities for the Clan. The focus by
the management then was to invest in properties and could not run a
variety of programmes. It was also an unanimous decision by all members
to use the funds to further invest in properties. So in 2008, the
management completed the transaction for 23 Tessensohn Road as the
latest premise for the Association with the balance used for purchase of
other freehold estates. In this way, returns from the investment can be
used for activity funds and help the Association to continuously grow.
Besides giving back to the members, the Association hopes to attract
more young and capable Han newbies to the Clan to help build up the
‘family’. In this way, it is hoped that the Singapore Han Clan
Association can shine forth like the light of a beacon to show the way
forward to future generations.